Friday, August 9, 2013

For the love of books

It's no secret that I love reading. I do. I have always loved it, ever since I was a little girl, but I really got into it again after I graduated from high school. All of a sudden I no longer HAD to read books and it was then that I decided I wanted to. Can you see how I have a problem with being told what to do?

Now I read anywhere between one to four books a week depending on how busy I am and their length. 

What do I like to read? Well for a start I like books with happy endings. Not happy-sad endings (I'm talking to you Mr Sparks*), but happy-happy endings. Where there may be some hurt, there may be some confusion, there may be some overall crappy situations, but in the end the right guy gets the right girl (the "right" is important), and they live happily ever after in their perfect little world.

My reading ranges from young adult, to new adult, to just plain adult. Usually romance is involved in some form, and while I love contemporary books that I can relate to, I don't mind the odd hot vampire/werewolf/angel/nephilim/warlock thrown in.
I attribute much of my reading addiction to a few specific authors. Firstly, the lovely Stephenie Myer. Say what you will about the Twilight books - love them, hate them, it doesn't matter - they got a whole generation reading again and for that we should be thankful.

Personally, I loved the story of Bella and Edward and from that went on to read a tonne of "Vampire" books, many of which I enjoyed immensely.



Rachel Gibson was my first introduction to adult romance novels. I have read and loved all her books bar one - 'Daisy's Back in Town' (ask me why and maybe I'll tell you one day). Once I discovered her books, I really developed a love for the genre. It was my escape, my way of passing the time when I no longer had hours of homework to do at night.

I particularly enjoy the fact that even though her books are stand-alone, they are often set in the same places and therefore make reference to past characters. It's nice knowing that the characters you once fell in love with are still living happily. It gives the stories depth.

Some of my favourite Rachel Gibson books

My most recent discovery in the world of books is the 'new adult' category, particularly from self-published/indie authors. While I still love the tactile feel of holding a "real" book in my hands, I'm officially addicted to eBooks. They are just so convenient! Plus it means I can go book shopping at 1:00am if the mood strikes me (thank you Amazon!). Abbi Glines, Colleen Hoover and Jessica Park are three authors that cemented this unhealthy addiction but there are so many others that I love.

Abbi Glines and I at her book signing in Sydney
These books also introduced me the concept of "book boyfriends" which I think is hilarious - but honestly if any one of these guys actually existed, well maybe then I wouldn't be single.

I am always, ALWAYS, looking for new book recommendations so I would love it if you would share some of your favourite authors or books with me! Also, tell me who your "book boyfriend" would be :)



*That was referring to author Nicholas Sparks if you didn't get the reference. He, like Shonda Rhimes (creator and head writer of Grey's Anatomy), wouldn't know a happy-happy ending if it but them on the bum. Both are amazingly talented though!

4 comments:

  1. I love Colleen Hoover too, I'm onto the very last of her books within the last month or so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! She really is a fantastic writer :)

      Delete
  2. My book boyfriend would be Dank Walker from the Existence Trilogy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed that series too and Dank was great. Who knew death could be so hot? xo

      Delete